By participating in our survey, we will collect some data you provide us with.
Specifically, we will store the data you input in our forms, as well as your Spotify usage data, after you explicitly granted access to this data. The only other data we store is the current date and time. Notably, we do not store any identifying information, such as your IP address or your Spotify username in our database.
What data we collect
The data we collect includes:
- The date and time you began taking our survey
- If you gave consent to storing your data (you cannot participate in the survey without giving this consent)
- Demographic information, specifically your self-stated year of birth, gender, and how long you state you listen to Spotify each day
- Your responses to a personality questionnaire
- Your responses to a music preference questionnaire
- Spotify usage data, specifically:
- Your Spotify account type (e.g. premium or free)
- The number of followers to your Spotify account (only the total count is stored)
- The contents of the playlists "Your Top Songs 2018", "Tastebreakers", and "Liked from Radio", if they exist
- Your up to 50 most listened to songs (short term, medium term, and long term, so up to 150 songs)
- Your up to 50 most listened to artists (short term, medium term, and long term, so up to 150 artists)
- Your up to 50 most recently listened songs
- Your reponses to questions about your preference for 5 of your most listened songs, 5 recently listened songs, and 5 most listened artists
Please note again that we do not store your Spotify ID or any other data that could be used to identify you.
Where we store the data
The data will be stored in a database which is secured by a password and IP access filters. We take reasonable security precautions in order to prevent unauthorized access to the database. As stated above, we do not collect identifying information. Thus, even if there would be a databreach, nobody would be able to identify your data among the responses. The data is fully anonymized.
The data will be downloaded and stored on computers of the researchers conducting this study for analysis. The data may be shared with other researchers.
How long we store the data
In order to ensure that researchers can replicate our results, the data will not be deleted after a set time frame.
Right of access, rectification, and erasure
Since there is no way to identify your data in the dataset as it is fully anonymized, we cannot provide you with your data on request, alter it, or delete it.
If you have any questions, please contact the head researcher of this study:
Dr. Kai Fricke
Helmut-Schmidt-Universität / Universität der Bundeswehr Hamburg
Fakultät für Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaften
Professur für Persönlichkeitspsychologie und Psychologische Diagnostik
Telephone: (040) 6541-2285
E-Mail: fricke [at] hsu [minus] hh [dot] de